John B. California, USA
A long drive north from San Juan del Sur but well worth it! We were greeted by a awesome staff,that spoke perfect English,had a great time,the room was very clean,being right on the beach,tons of great surf,great service,AWESOME food,I could go on and on. If you are visiting Northern Nicaragua,Thunderbomb is a must go! I live here in Nicaragua,don't miss out !!!!
One of the best experiences of the whole three months I've been staying in Nicaragua. A couple of my friends and I drove about six hours north of San Juan Del Sur which is where I currently am living to stay a couple days at Thunderbomb. I never wanted to leave! From the incredible food, infused rum, tentative staff, gorgeous accommodations and amazing waves this is somewhere I definitely plan on going back to! They keep you entertained while the waves are low tide and also have options of going out with the boat to find and catch the swells off shore! I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys feeling as if they have found heaven on earth! The staff took us out surfing and drove to a couple spots to see which swells we were keen on. I have never felt so much at home as I did at Thunderbomb. The only bad part of this trip was driving away from it when we were leaving! Do yourself a favor and check it out for yourself you will be beyond thankful you did !!!
a traveler Canada
He: 41 years old. Works in service industry. Some surfing experience. Hot Buttons: great service, good food, prefers non-touristy destinations
She: 50 years old. 20 years management experience in luxury hotels. Former fine dining restaurant manager. No surfing experience. Hot Buttons: great service, authentically local experiences, good food, non-touristy destinations
If we could give 6 out of 5 as our score for this experience, we would, and here's why:
- there is something nearby for all skill levels
- uncrowded beaches
- as beginners, the pure sand bottom at our beach was a huge positive
- the water felt as warm as the air
- the Thunderbomb team is really great at trying to get you on the water for as long as possible and are very flexible if you want to call it a day
- the staff outnumber the guests, which is a rare thing!
- We felt like royalty. German and Oscar in particular went above and beyond to ensure our comfort on the waves and with our experience in general for the whole week. These two individuals are incredibly talented and lovely people who are very focused on doing the best job that they can.
- we are 'foodies' and have to say that Oscar cooked up a storm! Best food by far that we had during our 3 weeks in Nicaragua. Some of the best food that we have had in general at restaurants in Canada. You will not go hungry.
- the house is literally on the beach
- the grounds are well taken care of
- the rooms are basic but very clean and comfortable. Nothing beats that lovely smell of fresh laundry!
- you are in farmland so it is quiet, except for the rolling waves and occasional nature sounds
- all the staff are calm, relaxed and very kind
- the place is tricky to find on your own, or for a cab driver. No road signs and no addresses to be found. Best to ask Jonathan for directions in advance if you are driving on your own, if not, Jonathan does include airport pick up and drop off in your package
- bring some cash in case you want to tip anyone, or to buy ice cream down the road. The house is in a remote area with no nearby bank machines
- bring zinc for your face!!! 37 degrees Celcius and pure sun for our full vacation. Our 60 SPF just didn't do the job when we were in the water for hours at a time
A very memorable experience. Thank you Jonathan and the Thunderbomb Superstars!
Michael Sien New York, USA
I couldn't be happier about my week at Thunderbomb with Jonathan and company. I am an advanced beginner or maybe intermediate surfer and Jonathan and the two primary surf guides, Herman and Oscar, took me to the right waves at the right times (and tides) so that I was really able to advance my surfing this past week. I've never been on waves this good with so few surfers out in the water, and with so much individual attention from the guides.
This is a great place for a dedicated surfer, but it's also good for a beginner (in November, there were 2 nearby gentle-but-fun waves) or someone who also wants to have some adventures out of the water, like yoga, horseback riding, sightseeing in Leon, Volcano hikes or boarding, or any of the other stuff that visitors do around these parts. Solid home-cooked food and lots of it, good A/C in rooms, decent Wi-Fi.