Most parents will agree that they had to revise their traveling style once kids came into the picture. But the good news is that surfing holidays don’t need to become a thing of the past. In fact, a surfing trip can be an exciting family experience and a wonderful opportunity to bond and make memories that will last a lifetime.
If you’ve never tried surfing before, then you and your entire family can learn to surf together while getting a healthy dose of nature and exercise in an exotic destination. If you’re a surfer with some experience under your belt, then you should know that surfaris are still achievable without having to leave your family behind. We’re here to show you exactly why you should take your loved ones along, so go ahead and read our five reasons to consider a family surfing trip for your next vacation:
1. You’ll all take a well-deserved break
A family surfing trip is a great opportunity to take a break from your mundane everyday tasks. There’s no cooking, no running errands, no homework. In addition, if you opt to go on a family surf camp, there will be little or no planning. All you need to do is book your flight and the surf camp will take care of all the rest.
A surf trip will help your kids take their minds off school. At the same time, they will discover fascinating cultures and environments, will explore new lands, try new activities and cuisines, all of which will provide a valuable learning experience.
2. Family surf camps cater to your every need
Combining a surf trip with a family holiday might seem challenging, but it is easy to do if you look for these four important aspects:
- Your needs as a surfer (surf lessons and surf breaks that match your skills)
- Your family’s needs (the location should also match their surfing skills)
- Non-surfer needs (extra activities, food, amenities)
- Your kids’ needs (the instructors should be specialized in teaching surfing to kids and teenagers)
A family-friendly surfing destination will offer something for every member of the family: quality breaks for experienced surfers, mellow waves for beginners, specialized instructors for adults, teenagers and young children, and plenty of extra activities for those who simply don’t want to surf or wish to take a break from the waves. Everyone is guaranteed to have fun, surfers and non-surfers alike, from five-year-olds to 80-year-old veteran surfers.
If you’re coming back from a surfing hiatus, a surf camp is a great way to get back on the board. Furthermore, moms and dads wanting to share their love for the ocean with their little ones will see their kids surf, and those wishing to brush up on their skills can take advantage of the camp’s childcare during lessons.
3. Surfing has amazing health benefits
Surfers always appear healthy and in shape, happy and optimistic, all thanks to the mindful choices they make in their everyday lives.
One of the best and most obvious reasons to take your entire family with you on a surfing trip is because surfing has amazing health benefits for people of all ages, regardless of their skill level. Let’s name a few:
- Surfing is a fantastic full-body workout. Keeping your balance on the board strengthens the core. Paddling and maintaining your balance on the surfboard works the back muscles, which helps protect the spine. In addition, surfing strengthens the shoulders, arms and legs.
- Thanks to the great amount of paddling involved, surfing is an excellent cardiovascular exercise that helps keep the heart in tip-top shape.
- Spending time outside in the sun helps the body produce a healthy dose of vitamin D. While the human body can get vitamin D from food as well, the sun remains the best source. Vitamin D helps with calcium absorption, promotes bone health and cell renewal, keeps the muscles working properly and boosts the immune system.
- Surfing is much more than a wonderful exercise; it has tremendous benefits for your mental health too. It helps relieve stress, improves the quality of your sleep and can even help treat depression and anxiety.
- Surfing releases endorphins and serotonin, boosting your mood and making you feel happier within 30 minutes after getting into the water.
- Surfing encourages you to lead a healthier lifestyle by eating healthy, spending more time outdoors and taking proper care of your body.
4. Surfing has even greater benefits for your kids
If you are a surfer, you most probably have not forgotten the excitement of catching your first wave. With kids and grommets, this feeling is even more intense.
If you’ve been thinking about introducing your children to the wonderful world of surfing, then wait no longer! Surfing is an excellent extracurricular activity for kids as young as five years old that offers many extraordinary benefits:
- While surfing is not exactly a team sport, it is practiced in the company of other surfers. Therefore, it teaches kids to integrate into society and to behave in the presence of other children and adults. It also teaches them respect for the ocean and the surfers in the lineup.
- Spending time in the water and learning a new skill relaxes and relieves tension accumulated during the week or during the school year. After all, children are vulnerable to stress too. Surfing is known to fight anxiety and depression in people of all ages.
- Surfing raises children’s self-esteem and confidence. They are able to overcome shyness by taking up an activity in a safe environment with other children that are at the same level as them, thus engaging in healthy competition.
- It teaches kids that putting in work and effort into an activity can lead to wonderful rewards. Standing up on a wave is such a rewarding and addictive experience that your kid might become hooked!
- Surfing teaches children to follow rules and helps channel excess energy.
- Surfing improves motor skills, balance, coordination and spatial orientation. Children will become more agile by getting comfortable with their own bodies.
- It teaches kids to love sports. Even children who don’t really enjoy sports can’t help but fall in love with surfing because it’s simply so much fun!
Spoiler alert: your kids will learn to surf faster than you!
Kids who join a surf camp will inevitably leave as surfers. And chances are that they’ll remain surfers for life, which means that you’ll have yet another activity to share and cherish together.
5. You’ll learn new skills together
When was the last time you tried something new with your kids? What better way to overcome your fears and learn a new skill than on a surf camp? If you and your whole family want to learn to surf together, a surf camp for beginners will get everyone started.
If you are trying surfing for the first time, you’ll have the chance to become a role model for your kids. You can set yourself as an example by showing them that you have the courage to step out of your comfort zone and try new things.
If you’re already a seasoned surfer, then you’ll make the perfect surf teacher for your child. You’ll get to pass on the love for surfing from one generation to the other and share the same break. You’ll get to improve your skills while your kid will fall in love with the ocean.
Share your love for adventure and the waves with your family and kids on an all-inclusive surf-camp that caters to your every need!